Friday, October 2, 2020

Where I'm From...

Reposting of my "Where I'm From"...:)

Assignment:  Using George Ella Lyon's poem "Where I'm From" as a model, draft and then type your own version of this poem.

  • THEN, for each stanza, add three participial phrases that describing the images in the stanzas.
  • Click here to preview a list of active verbs you may use to create your participial phrases.  Try to NOT use a verb more than once.

Mrs. Gillmore's Poem

I am from tires, 
from Chevrolet, and batteries,
  • unloading by the truck load,
  • washing many used cars,
  • driving my detailed rides.
I am from the creek beside our house, 
(cold, running, 
it tasted like frozen ice cubes),
  • overflowing into our tire shop,
  • catching crawdads that pinched,
  • removing leeches from my feet.
I am from the zinnas, 
the marigolds,
whose weeds I had to remove.

  • filling the beds with color,
  • planted yearly by my mother,
  • resulting in my now planting them, too.
I am from peanut butter pie and a stubbed nose,
from Ollie Jo and Wilford.
  • eating enough dinner so dessert I could have,
  • carrying on the Friel genes
  • blessed beyond measure by them both.
I am from the yard sale bargains
and no TV's,
  • obtaining "Best Dressed in Who's Who,
  • watching the "one-eyed devil" at the neighbors,
  • growing up different but okay.
from "rise and shine" and "you look nice."
  • groaning for just a few minutes more of snooze time,
  • complimenting me every Sunday morning on my design,
  • waving that final good-bye.
I am from "Only Believe"
with beliefs solid, strong,
and the piano I play by ear.
  • learning one note at a time,
  • staying true to my convictions,
  • absorbing, singing word after word.
I'm from Friel and Irish descent,
popcorn and fried chicken.
  • frying as only my momma could,
  • making dad's snack every night,
  • giving credit for my red-hair.
From the work habits of my ever-doing parents,
the miles traveled to and from church three times every week.
  • owning multiple businesses,
  • mowing all the surrounding yards,
  • cleaning house every Saturday morning.
I am from the box in the back of the closet,
stuffed to the top,
many black and white,
easier years later to view.
  • preserving memories of parents and siblings from years past,
  • bringing to life the faces now deceased,
  • absorbing who I was, who I am.
I am from those moments - 
standing, oh, so proud --
family traits I do possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment